Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Into Wyoming

We left Chadron this morning with fresh legs and renewed spirits. Our day off was great, and everyone was excited to get going on our way to Wyoming. The first 25 miles flew by as Shira, Lisa, Chad, and I rode together. We reached Fort Robinson, an old army base from the late 1800's, fairly early in the morning, so Lisa, Jake Curtis (who caught up with us), and I decided to look around. We took a look around the museum that gave a pretty brief history of the struggles between the settlers and indians. Fort Robinson was used to fight the indians, train horses in World War I, and then train dogs in World War II. It was an interesting place, and I'm glad we stopped.

As we left Fort Robinson we began the big climb of the day. Joe had scared everyone about it this morning, but it ended up not being too bad. Lisa and I held a pretty good pace all the way to the senic look out where the van was waiting on us for lunch. After a quick snack we hit the road again with Marita, Lindsey, and Chad for the next 25 miles. I'm pretty sure it was all downhill (or at least it seemed like it) and it flew by.

Our second lunch was about 20 miles outside of Lusk in a town with a population of 18 just after we crossed into Wyoming. Most of us beat the van there, so Chad, Shira and I decided to just grab some fruit and head out. It was another fast stretch (only slowed down by my flat which I changed super fast). 82 miles in all, and a super great day.

So now we're in Wyoming. We travelled here from Rohde Island... by bike. We say that everytime we make it just a little farther, but each time it seems so much greater. Wyoming is "the West", No doubt about that. It's the first state of the trip that I've already been to, and I'm really excited about the next week here. We have two builds, one in Casper and one in Jackson, and about 6 days worth of riding. I also found out that we're going to get to climb Teton Pass as we're leaving Jackson. Get excited!

No comments: