Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bozeman to Helena

Today was another good day on the bike. We woke up to a gerat breakfast provided by our hosts and prepared by Chad and the breakfast crew. It was a great mix of fruits, cereals, eggs, baked goods, and juices. We all ate so much we got a late start to our route meeting and then to our ride. The road from Bozeman to Helena is basically flat. For the first 45 miles until lunch I averaged 21 mph, and was feeling great. I stayed around first lunch for a long time (mainly because Marita and Jake bought frosted flakes so I was chowing down), and then decided to take it easy for a whlie. I rode alone for the next little stretch, and met up with a few other riders in a gas station at about mile 70. We rode together for the next 5 miles or so until second lunch where I refilled my water and hit the road again. I guess a big breakfast and then frosted flakes for first lunch were good enough. I moved pretty quickly the last 30 miles, making it into town pretty early. I wandered around for a little over an hour before heading to the church where they had muffins and juice waiting on us.

Its funny how two months ago a 100 mile ride was a big challenge our group had to mentally prepare for. Now it just seems like another day. We've all improved so much, and it is neat to see how things that used to be so hard are seeming easier for us all.

1 comment:

Pam said...

So, I am thinking I might should go to Sam's for frosted flakes before you land in El Paso?

A little less than 3 weeks and you'll be here. I'm excited.
mom