Sunday, July 6, 2008

Ames to Carroll, IA

First, a few randoms thoughts I forgot to include in my last post.

When we were in Clinton, right after crossing the Mississippi, a local teens club fed us dinner and then challenged us to a game of dodgeball. I could make excuses and say we lost because we'd already ridden 82 miles that day, or I could try and convince you that our arms are just out of practice because they don't get much use these days. I should probably just say that we got drilled in five games in a row. It was pathetic but oh so much fun.

On a note not quite as high, I'd like to talk about the flood damage here in Iowa. On our way from Mount Vernon to Marshalltown we rode through parts of Cedar Rapids that had been hit pretty hard. Seeing watermarks 15 feet high on houses that have had to be gutted is hard to handle. It was a quiet few miles as we all took in what was around us. I wish there had been some way for us to help the situation there, but due to the schedule of trip there wouldn't have been any way. Keep the people affected by the floods in your prayers. The waters may have receded, but their is still a lot of work to be done. Maybe our route will be able to help with the rebuilding next year.

Now on to today. It was 85.2 miles from Ames to Carroll. Shira, Chad and I rode at the front through the rolling hills until lunch. After a pretty fast morning, I decided to take a quick lunch and then take my time for the second half of the trip. I left lunch alone and first, and rode at a nice easy pace. It was really a cool experience because there were times I could see for miles in all directions, but no one was there. I enjoyed it. At about mile 60 the road turned to gravel, so I called Jake who was driving the van and we figured out a new route. I had to give up my solo riding because I forgot to pick up chalk this morning, and I had no way of informing the other riders about the detour. I waited for Chad, Peter, and Ashley to catch up, and together we rode the rest of the way in. It was a really hot, humid day, and I finished my Camelback, basically a backpack that holds 100 oz. of water, not once but twice. Even so, I think I was a little dehydrated, and the last 6 or 7 miles were pretty hard for me. We're staying at St. John's Lutheran Church tonight and tomorrow night, and we have a build day with the local Habitat Chapter tomorrow.

1760.6 miles into the trip so far.

5 days until my birthday.

35 days until Seattle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting to see your comments about Cedar Rapids and very pleased to see your compassion for the people. It is not hard to see why you are on this bicycle ride. All of us parents are so proud of all of you! Karen Curtis (Jacob Curtis's Mom)