Sunday, June 8, 2008

Providence, RI to Woodstock, CT to Grandby, CT

I'm sitting on the front porch of a church in Grandby, CT stealing wireless from the neighbors.

We've got two days of riding under our belts, only 68 more to go. We left Providence Saturday morning after dipping our tires into the Atlantic.
















We hit the road, and before too long, we had left Rhode Island and entered Connecticut.
Saturday's ride was about 34 miles with some gentle rolling hills. I rode with Chad and Lindsey most of the morning, and then Jake St. and I pushed it pretty hard at the front in the afternoon.We spent the night at HYDE school in Woodstock where they treated us to burgers and chicken. My chore group gave the presentation about Bike & Build, and then we went and did laundry. We slept in the school gym, and everybody was asleep by 11.

Our 6 o'clock wake up call came early, and we were on the road by 8. The ride today was 53.4 miles of hills through surprisingly hot Connecticut. There were several really long climbs that took a lot out of you, but they were followed by some super fast downhills. I lost my computer somewhere on the ride yesterday and had to go without one today. I don't know how fast I was able to go, but it was kind of nice not to constantly be checking my speed. I'll have to pick another one up at the next bike shop I find. I rode with Chad up front this morning before stopping to help Lindsey with a flat, and then we rode with a large group to lunch. The biggest climbs in the morning, but it was gorgeous as the trees made a canopy blocking out the sun and heat. After leaving my sunglasses at the van during lunch and making an extra mile loop to get them, I spent the majority of the afternoon by myself before catching up with a few people to finish up the last few miles.

Tonight we're staying at the First Church of Grandby where they're preparing Chicken Parmesan for us, plus they'll feed us breakfast in the morning too!

We leave tomorrow headed west again, and ever closer to the Appalachians. It's a 70 miler where we'll cross over part of the Appalachian Trail, so our motto for the day may be "up, up, up."

I guess I'll leave you with a picture of the side our trailer. It has four sides (obviously), but I only took a picture of one. I'll get around to the others later.

1 comment:

Pam said...

You lost that expensive computer? I am so upset. LOL

Sounds like you are having a blast.